ECEE 610 001
Supplemental Web Sites
The following sites may prove worthwhile.
These are papers that are used to supplement the text books. Many may
be found in the library.
- R. Blumberg, S. Atre (2003) DM Review:Five article series on unstructured
- "The Problem With Unstructured Data" (pdf)
- "More Than Search" (pdf)
- "Automatic Classification: Moving to the Mainstream" (pdf)
- "Digging Into the Web: XML, Meta Data and Other Paths to Unstructured
- "Discovery: The Road to Business Intelligence" (pdf)
- Codd,E.F., "A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks,
CACM, v 13, n 6, p 377-387 (reprinted in: Readings In Database Systems,
M. Stonebreaker, ed. Morgan Kaufmann, 1988)
- Eckerson, E., "The Holly Grail of Business Intelligence,"
DM Review, February, 1998, 18+
- Jenks, B., "Tiered Data Warehouse," DM Review, October, 1997,
- Kent,W., "A Simple Guide To Five Normal Forms In Relational Database
Theory," Communications ACM, v 26, n 2, p 120-126
- Grimes, S. "Structure, Models and Meaning: 'unstructured, data
merely unmodeled?," Intelligent Enterprise Magazine, March, 2005,
- Grise, M., "Meta Data: The Lifeblood of Business Intelligence
Tools," DM Review, September, 1997, p 24-26
- Laurent, W., "The Case for Data Stewardship," DM Review,
February, 2005, 26-28, http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub.cfm?articleId=1018108
- LeBaron, M. and Adelman, S. "Meta Data Standards, DM Review, December,
1997, p 36-41
- Mangold, J., "Turning Straw Into Gold", DM Review, February
1998, p 34+
- McGovern, D., "The Relational Model Turns 25," DBMS, October,
1994, p 46-60
- Moss, L., "Data Cleansing: A Dichotomy of Data Warehousing?",
DM Review, February, 1998, p 46+
- Rawls, J., "Multi-tiered Data Warehouses," DM Review, June,
1977, p 26-31
- Rennhackkamp, M., "Unconventional Referential Constraints,"
DBMS, October, 1993, p 55-61
- Sullivan, D. "Five Principles of Intelligent Content Management,"
Intelligent Enterprise Management Magazine, August 31, 2001 http://www.intelligententerprise.com/010831/413feat1_1.jhtml?_requestid=1688135
- Thomasian, A., "Concurrency Control: Methods, Performance, and
Analysis, ACM Computing Surveys, p 70-119
- Tucker, M, "Dark Matter of Decision Making," Intelligent
Enterprise Magazine, September 14, 1999, v 2, n 13, p 20-26 http://www.intelligententerprise.com/db_area/archives/1999/991409/feat1.jhtml?_requestid=1686533
- Weglarz, G. "Two Worlds of Data Unstructured and Structured,"
DM Review, September, 2004 http://www.dmreview.com/article_sub.cfm?articleId=1009161
- Wilkerson, P. and Tanler, R., "The Internet Data Warehouse Providing
Content-Driven OLAP," DM Review, February, 1998, p 54+
Supplemental Books and Journals
- ACM Communications, special issue focusing on Data Warehousing,
- Adriaans, Zantinge, Data Mining, Addison-Wesley, 1997
- Anahory, Murray, Data Warehousing In The Real World, Addison-Wesley,
- Cabena, Hadjinian, Stadler, Verhees, Zahasi, Discovering Data Mining,
- Devlin, Data Warehouse, Addison-Wesley, 1997
Specific Sources For The Lectures On Fifth Normal Forms
The following sources were used for examples for the lectures on fifth
normal form (5NF). If need be, you are encouraged to consult them.
- Connolly & Begg, Database Systems, Addison-Wesley (example
dealing with supplying items to properties)
- Date, Database Systems, Addison-Wesley (example dealing with
supplying parts to projects, Elsmasri essentially expanded this example).
Date's seventh edition (the current one) has less on 5NF than earlier editions.
- Elmarsi & Navathe, Database Systems, Addison-Wesley (similar
to the example of supplying parts to projects)
- Hawryskeiwycz, Relational Database Design, Prentice-Hall (example
dealing with selling to stores)
- Kent, A Simple Guide To Five Normal Forms In Relational Database
Theory, CACM, v26, n2
- Loomis, The Database Book, MacMillan (the example dealing with
- Ullman, Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems, vol
1 , Computer Science Press (discussion of project dependency)
- last changed: 22 September 2010